What is the procedure for making an enquiry or complaint to Centennial Mandalong?

Centennial Mandalong has a complaints and enquiries line (1800 730 919) that is managed by the Control Room operator 24 hours. The Control Room operator records the details of the enquiry or complaint and notifies the Environment and Community Coordinator/ Mining Approvals Coordinator / Mine Manager.

Centennial  respond within 24 hours of the enquiry/complaint being notified to the Environment and Community Coordinator/ Mining Approvals Coordinator / Mine Manager.

How do I find out my legal rights as a landholder?

Your rights are contained in the Mining Act 1992. Advice regarding mining access to your property, agreements and compensation is found on the website of the NSW Trade and Investment.

What do I do if I have concerns about my PSMP?

Seek advice from the MCA Mining Subcommittee. In this way you can be put in touch with residents who have already gone through the PMSP process. They can help you identify the issues and give you the background information you may need.

Raise your concerns in an email to Centennial and ask them to confirm receipt of your email. Direct discussions with Centennial are the best way to resolve any issues. If you are uncertain about any point, follow it up with an email. Continue the communication until you have a satisfactory outcome.

If required, you do have access to a range of experts who can answer specific questions. Contact the Dept of Planning and Infrastructure to access the Independent Panel.

How do I learn about subsidence as it affects Mandalong?

In Nov 2011 the MCA invited Prof Jim Galvin to address a meeting of residents to explain subsidence as it related to our valley. Prof. Jim Galvin's Presentation 

Where do I find information about the Southern Extension?

The Environment Impact Statement (EIS), prepared by Centennial for submission to the Dept of Planning and Infrastructure, contains all the information on the Southern Extension.  You will find it on the Centennial Coal website.

Many submissions were made by residents, organisations and Government bodies to the EIS. You will find those submissions on the website of the Dept of Planning and Infrastructure.

Where do I find scientific reporting on the Mandalong wetlands?

Hunter Eco prepares comprehensive environmental monitoring data, from baseline surveys conducted in April 2009 by Colin Driscoll, through to the most recent survey in November 2013.

The reports, commissioned by Centennial Coal, cover all 8 wetlands in the Mandalong area and include weeds, any subsidence impacts, water chemistry, biodiversity changes, impacts from feral deer and grazing etc.

The report is contained in the 2013 Annual Environment Management Report  Appendices #12 page 402

Is there an organisation that assists communities protect their environments?

The Environment Defender's Office (EDO) is an independent community legal centre specialising in public interest environmental law.

Environment Defender’s Offices provide legal advice and representation to individuals and groups on conservation issues, while also advocating law reform.

Defender’s Offices are often used by community and environment groups fighting major developments.
At present Government funding is being withdrawn from this important organisation.

What documents contain the overriding governance of the Mandalong Mine?

There are a number of documents including:

  1. The Conditions of Development Consent set out in the approval under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act issued by the Department of Planning and Infrastructure.
  2. Mining Leases issued by the Department of Trade and Investment – Division of Resources & Energy.
  3. Water Licences and approvals issued by NSW Office of Water.
  4. A Mining Operations Plan prepared to satisfy conditions of the Mining Leases under the Mining Act which reflects the commitments of the Consent and aligns the operation and activities of the mine in regard to rehabilitation, subsidence and safety and the amount of security deposit held by the Government.
  5. Environmental Protection Licence issued by the Environmental Protection Authority.